19 February 2010

Loving the Dark doesn't mean loving to be dead.

While everyone in the fashion world are still coming to terms with McQueen's death, tributes to his persona are being held in most of the key fashion places such as the fashion weeks (London and NY so far...) and London department stores such as Libertys.
Mcqueen was one of my favourite designers because he was a master of theatrical and phantasmagorical outfit and stage creations. A master of the Haute Macabre. He combined a complex and amazing mix of haute couture out-of-reality pieces with wearable elements. Obviously, his creations (at one time very very gothic and alternative) became stated, commercial -yet still creative- pieces that some people confided me that were mostly made by students and apprentices....

Because of his death, there are some testimonials that have brought out, yet again, some false stereotypes about Goths and other Dark enthusiasts, like me, like McQueen! and I want to clarify them. I am sure most of you who read this blog will agree, but as usual, I welcome and encourage! any comments or opinions. For instance, I have read that Karl Lagerfeld said:

"There was always some attraction to death, his designs were sometimes dehumanised..."
"Who knows, perhaps after flirting with death too often, death attracts you,"
he apparently added.

No Goth, I think, or at least the few I have met in my life are dreaming of killing themselves. An enthusiasm for the Dark, means just that. There are cases and there always will be of people who are attracted to the Dark because they are depressed (or freaks!), so they find it easier to connect with Gothic because they already are "living in the gloom" but that is not usually the case! I have always loved Gothic and I didn't know such a thing existed as concept until I met two girls in high school and told me..."actually, this thing you like and admired so much is called Gothic".. Back then and still now, I have no intention of killing myself, despite still enjoying having quiet walks down the cemeteries, admiring the gorgeous stonegraves.
McQueen was in a state of depression, he even left a note, and his mum (the closest person to him in life, it has been stated) was just gone. I bet you that when he did kill himself, the last thing he would be doing was choosing what fabric would go in his coffin. There is nothing romantic about Death, Robert Smith once said. How true....



Here is the blog where I got this wonderful picture:
http://thegothicclothing.com/archives/alexander-mcqueen-style


Here is the article if you want to read more:
http://uk.fashionmag.com/news-88216-British-fashion-designer-McQueen-hanged-himself

2 comments:

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

I completely agree with your post. I'm sure one would never be able to tell from looking at my blog but I have always had a soft spot for things of a darker nature, Victorian mourning jewelry, Edward Gorey prints, looking at old gravestones, pictures from cemeteries and abandoned asylums. That said, I love life and am not a depressed person! So I totally understand where you are coming from and also disagree with those that have said that there is a correlation between his Gothic tendencies and his depression.

Unknown said...

I've always found that the most unhappy people I've known are the ones that wear blah shades of brown and beige! Black is for me the color of drama and of intensity, positive or negative!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails